Representation, Empathy and Identification - Negotiating Power and Powerlessness in Art on Migration
A commonplace idea, and worry, in much political art is the emphasis on not to victimize the object/subject in artistic strategies, and to portray people as subjects with agency. And the way to do this is to allow for identification. This article asks if this strong idea might be shaped by an ameliorating guilt for victims, which in turn is partially informed by an inability to free the gaze from a hegemonic view of people as agents on a market. Instead the article looks at some contemporary artists who surface an opposite recognition, the radical lack of power for large groups within the global migration system, without attempts at temporary symbolic solutions. It will be argued that this is and has always been a ground for political mobilisation and solidarity.
Adorno, T. (1966/97) Negative Dialectics, Continuum.
Adorno, T., Horkheimer, M. (1972/1947). The Dialectics of Enlightenment. Herder and Herder. See section on “The Culture Industry: Enlightenment as Mass Deception”.
Arendt, H. (1951/94) The Origins of Totalitarianism, New York, Harcourt Books.
Bal, M. (2015) The Last Frontier, Migratory Culture, Video and Exhibiting without Voyeurism. In Annie E. Coombes and Ruth B. Phillips (Eds.) The International Handbooks of Museum Studies: Museum Transformations, John Wiley & Sons.
Berggren, E. (2007).Danish Xenophobia - Power Logic in Motion. In Irregular Migration, Informal Labor and Community: A Challenge for Europe, (Eds.) E. Berggren, B. Likic-Brboric, G. Toksöz, N. Trimikliniotis, p. 372-390, Shaker Publishing.
Bourriaud, N. (1998). Relational Aesthetics, Les Presse Du Reel.
European Commission. Council Directive 2001/52/EC, from https://europa.eu/european-union/eu-law/legal-acts_en.
Eurostat (2017). Asylum statistics 2017
Jameson, F. (1987). Cognitive Mapping. In Marxism and the Interpretation of Culture, (Eds.) C. Nelson, C.&L. Grossberg, Macmillan Education, p 348.
Jonsson, J., Willén, J. (2016).Austere Histories in European Societies:
Social Exclusion and the Contest of Colonial Memories, Routledge.
Karlholm, D. (2014).Kontemporalism : om samtidskonstens historia och framtid, AXL Books.
Karlholm, D., Kaprow, A., Smithson, R. (2013).Vad är ett Museum?, AXL Books.
Lacy, S. (2010). Leaving Art: Writings on Performance, Politics, and Publics, 1974–2007, Duke University Press.
Lundström, A. (2015) Former av politik: Tre utställningssituationer på Moderna Museet 1998-2008. Makadam.
MigrEurope Brief (No 2, 2013). Detention of Migrants. MIGREUROP - Observatoire des frontières, from www.migreurop.org.
Nail, T. (2015) Migrant Cosmopolitanism. Public Affairs Quarterly, 29 (2), 187-199.
O´Doherty, B. (2000) Inside the White Cube: The Ideology of the Gallery Space, University of California Press.
Pitkin, H. (1967)The Concept of Representation, Berkeley: University of California.
Rancière, J. (2002). The Aesthetic Revolution and its Outcomes. In New Left Review 14, 2002, p. 151.
Rawls, J. (1999/1971). A Theory of Justice, The Belknap Press.
Sholette, G. (2010). Dark Matter: Art and Politics in the Age of Enterprise Culture, Pluto Press.
Sontag, S. (1977).On Photography, Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
Taylor, D., Walker, P., Grierson, J., (2018, October 11). Revealed: two suicide attempts every day in UK deportation centres. The Guardian.
Thompson, N. (Ed) (2012).Living as Form, MIT Press.
Smith, S. (2018, October 28) Europeans who help migrants find themselves on the wrong side of the law, NBC News, from https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world.
UN (2017). International Migration Report, 2017.
UNHCR (2019).“Desperate Journeys – Refugees and migrants arriving in Europe and at Europe´s borders.” January 2019, 5. Report. From https://www.unhcr.org/desperatejourneys/
Authors who publish in this journal agree with the following points:
- The author(s) guarantee(s) that the article is original and it has not previously published and it has not been sent to other journals for consideration.
- The author(s) declare(s) that the work does not violate the copyright of third parties and assume the full personal and financial responsibility for any legal action which may be brought by third parties against the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge
- The author(s) retain(s) the rights of the work and grant to the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge the right to publish the work in digital edition with the licence Creative Commons Attribution Licence 4.0 (CC BY-NC-ND) or in any other form that the publisher considers opportune for the maximum dissemination. This attribution allows others to share the work, indicating the authorship and the initial publication in this journal.
- The authors can establish other arrangements with non-exclusive license to distribute the published version of the work (eg. deposit it in an institutional archive or publish it in a monograph), indicating that it was first published in the Journal of Mediterranean Knoweldge â€“ JMK.
- The author(s) can distribute the work online (eg. on their website) only after that it is published by the Journal of Mediterranean Knoweldge â€“ JMK (see The Effect of Open Access).