Hegel and the Experience of Forgiveness. Starting from the spirit of Christianity.
This contribution intends to explore the theme of forgiveness starting from the role it plays in Hegelian philosophy - especially as it appears in the early text The Spirit of Christianity and Its Fate and in the Phenomenology of Spirit - with the aim of emphasizing the specifically philosophical meaning of forgiveness. In the 1798-1799 text, in fact, forgiveness gains importance in relation to the comparison between the spirit of Judaism and that of Christianity. Starting from here, one can appreciate how, based on this theological background, the discussion that appears in the last section of the sixth chapter of the Phenomenology considers the experience of forgiveness as the paradigm of experience as such. In this sense, the moment of forgiveness is central insofar as it is a constitutively intersubjective experience.Â
Appel, K. (2003). Entsprechung im Widerspruch. Eine Auseinandersetzung mit dem Offenbarungsbegriff der politischen Theologie des jungen Hegels. Wien: Lit Verlag.
Arendt, A. (2006). On Revolution. New York: Penguin Books (reprented from On Revolution. New York: Viking Press, 1963).
Arndt, A. (2012). Wandlungen in Hegels Bild des Judentums. In R. Bart, U. Bart and K.D. Osthovener (Ed.), Christentum und Judentum: Akten des internationalen Kongresses der Schleiermacher-Gesellschaft in Halle, MÃ¤rz 2009 (pp. 417-429). Berlin: De Gruyter.
Bauer, W. (1988). Griechisch-Deutsches WÃ¶rterbuch zu den Schriften des Neuen Testaments und der frÃ¼hchristlichen Literatur, ed. by K. Aland and B. Aland. MÃ¼nster: Institut fÃ¼r neutestamentlicheneotestamentliche Forschung.
Cassin, B. (Ed.). (2004). Vocabulaire europÃ©en des philosophies. Seuil/Dictionnaires Le Robert: Paris.
Fackenheim, E. (1967). The Religious Dimension in Hegelâ€™s Thought. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
Hegel, G.W.F. Early Theological Writings (= THW), transl. by T.M. Knox. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania, 1996.
Hegel, G.W.F. Phenomenology of Spirit (= PhS), transl. by V. Miller, Oxford University Press, 1977.
Hegel, G.W.F. Werke in zwanzig BÃ¤nden (= W), ed. by E. Moldenhauer and K.M. Michel. Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp, 1970-.
HÃ¶lderlin, F. SÃ¤mtliche Werke, ed. by F. BeiÃŸner, 8 volumes, Stuttgart: Kohlhammer, 1951.
Kodalle, M. (2013). Verzeihung denken. MÃ¼nchen: Fink.
Lampe, G.W.H. (1971). A Patristic Greek Lexicon. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Papasoglu, B. (2013). Juger â€“ ne pas juger. Au risque de la contradiction. In R. Meynet and J. Oniszczuk (Ed.), Studi del terzo convegno RBS. International Studies on Biblical and Semitic Rhetoric (pp. 169-186). Roma: Gregorian & Biblical Press.
PÃ¶ggeler, O (1974). Hegelâ€™s Interpretation of Judaism. Human Context, 6, 523-560.
Authors who publish in this journal agree with the following points:
- The author(s) guarantee(s) that the article is original and that it has not previously published nor sent to other journals for consideration.
- The author(s) declare(s) that the article does not violate the copyright of third parties and assume(s) the full personal and financial responsibility for any legal action which may be brought by third parties against the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge
- The author(s) retain(s) the rights of the article. The ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge is allowed to publish it in digital edition with licence Creative Commons Attribution Licence 4.0 (CC BY-NC-ND) or in any other form that the publisher considers opportune. The licence allows others to share the article, provided that the authorship and the initial publication in this journal are reported.
- The author(s) can establish arrangements with non-exclusive license to distribute the published version of the article (eg. deposit it in an institutional archive or publish it in a monograph), indicating that it was first published in the Journal of Mediterranean Knoweldge.
- The author(s) can distribute the work online (eg. on their website) only after that it is published by the Journal of Mediterranean Knoweldge (see The Effect of Open Access).