For a historical-sociological approach to the city of Haifa
The city of Haifa, in the northern part of Israel, has been the theatre of harsh clashes between Jews and Muslims for many years. Haifa was heavy involved in the Great Arab Revolt of 1936-1939 and during the 1948 the Palestinian population, about 80.000 people, was evacuated by the Â Jewish militias. After the establishment of the State of Israel, several terror attacks took place in the city.
Today, several religious groups live in Haifa, with non easy relations. Nevertheless, each year the city celebrates the Holyday of Holydays, an interfaith festival.
The city presents significant traits that may help us test TÃ¶nniesâ€™s idea of a dichotomy between community (Gemeinschaft) and society (Gesellschaft). In different moments of city life, we find features typical of community and, in certain others, characteristics typical of society.
Bar-Tal, D. (2013). Intractable Conflicts. Socio-Psychological Foundations and Dynamics. Cambridge University Press.
Cohen H. (2009). Army of Shadows: Palestinian Collaboration with Zionism, 1917-1948, Berkeley: University of California Press.
Durkheim E., (1962). La divisione del lavoro sociale. Milano: ComunitÃ (or. ed., De la division du travail social, Paris: Alcan,1893)
Mutti A. (1998). Capitale sociale e sviluppo. La fiducia come risorsa. Bologna: Il Mulino
Mutti A., 2006, Sfiducia, â€œRassegna Italiana di Sociologiaâ€, 2, 199-223.
Parsons T., 1965, Il sistema sociale. Milano: ComunitÃ (or. ed., The Social System, The Free Press, Glencoe, 1951).
Parsons T. (1973). Sistemi di societÃ . Bologna: Il Mulino (or. ed., The System of Modern Societies, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1971).
Poundstone W. (1992). Prisonerâ€™s Dilemma New York: Doubleday,.
Short J. F. Jr. (1971). The Social Fabric of the Metropolis: Contributions of the Chicago School of Urban Sociology. University of Chicago Press.
Simmel G., 1997, La socievolezza. Roma: Armando (or. ed., Die Geselligkeit (Beispiel der reinen oder formalen Soziologie, in Grundfragen der Soziologie â€“ Individuum und Gesellschaft, G. J. GÃ¶schen'sche Verlagshandlung, Berlin und Leipzig, 1917).
Thomas W. & I., Thomas D. S. (1928). The Child in America: Behavior Problems and Programs, , New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
TÃ¶nnies F., (1963). ComunitÃ e societÃ . Milano: ComunitÃ (or. ed., Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft, O. R. Reislad, Leipzig, 1887; Engl. ed., Community and Society, Harper & Row, New York, 1963).
von Neumann J. & Morgenstern O. (1944). Theory of Games and Economic Behavior. Princeton University Press.
Weber M. (1961) Economia e societÃ . Milano: ComunitÃ , (or. ed., Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft, Mohr, TÃ¼bingen, 1922).
Weber M., (1968). â€œLa cittÃ â€, in Id., Economia e societÃ . Milano: ComunitÃ (or. ed., Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft, Mohr, TÃ¼bingen, 1922; Engl. ed., Economy and Society. An Outline of Interpretative Sociology, Bedminster Press, Totowa, NJ, 1968).
Weber M. (1965). Lâ€™etica protestante e lo spirito del capitalism. Firenze: Sansoni, (engl. ed., The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Scribner, New York, 1958).
Authors who publish in this journal agree with the following points:
- The author(s) guarantee(s) that the article is original and it has not previously published and it has not been sent to other journals for consideration.
- The author(s) declare(s) that the work does not violate the copyright of third parties and assume the full personal and financial responsibility for any legal action which may be brought by third parties against the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge
- The author(s) retain(s) the rights of the work and grant to the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge the right to publish the work in digital edition with the licence Creative Commons Attribution Licence 4.0 (CC BY-NC-ND) or in any other form that the publisher considers opportune for the maximum dissemination. This attribution allows others to share the work, indicating the authorship and the initial publication in this journal.
- The authors can establish other arrangements with non-exclusive license to distribute the published version of the work (eg. deposit it in an institutional archive or publish it in a monograph), indicating that it was first published in the Journal of Mediterranean Knoweldge â€“ JMK.
- The author(s) can distribute the work online (eg. on their website) only after that it is published by the Journal of Mediterranean Knoweldge â€“ JMK (see The Effect of Open Access).