The Migrantâ€™s Gaze. A survey on mobility factors carried out in the reception centres of Taranto
The migration phenomenon has significantly grown over the last years.
Migrants no longer consider Italy as a country of transit, but also as a final destination. Therefore, institutions and civil society organizations have explored new and unprecedented forms of collaboration.
This paper presents the results of a survey aiming to analyse in depth the reasons underlying the migration project as well as to identifyany forms of integration in the host country, starting from immigrant reception centres. The journey to Italy, as well as the related costs and risks have been considered from the migrantâ€™s point of view.
Most of the people interviewed come from Sub-Saharan Africa, mainly from the Gambia, Mali, Nigeria and Senegal.
To have a more complete and comprehensive survey, it was deemed useful to analyse the standpoints of the operators who are professionally called to respond to this emergency.
Ambrosini, M. &Sciolla, L. (2015). Sociologia. Florence: Mondadori UniversitÃ .
Anonymous (2015). Lavoratori migranti: processi di inclusione e sicurezza sul lavoro. Treviso: Pubblicazioni Italiane.
Anonymous (2015). Politica sociale. Un approccio differente. Bari: Giuseppe Laterza.
Boyd, M. (1989). Family and personal networks in international migration: Recent developments and new agendas. In International migrationreview, XXIII, n.3 pp. 638-670.
Calvo, R. (2012). La cucina, una ricetta per lâ€™integrazione. In â€œLibertÃ Civiliâ€bimontly review of the Department for Civil Liberties and Immigration of the Ministry of Interior, 3rd May-June issue.
De Luigi, N. (2011). Integrazione e aspetti economici: lavoro, casa e reddito della popolazione immigrata. In Zurla, P. (Ed.), La sfida dellâ€™integrazione. Milan: Franco Angeli.
IDOS (2016). Dossier statistico immigrazione 2016. Rome: IDOS â€“ UNAR.
Massey D. S., (1988). Economic development and international migration in comparative prospective, in â€œPopulation and Development Reviewâ€ n. 14, pp. 383-413
Morrone, A., Scardella, P. &Piompo, L. (2010).ManualediAlimentazioneTransculturale. Cento (Ferrara): Editeam.
OECD (2011). International migration outlook. Paris: OECD.
Piore M.J., (1979). Birds of Passage, Cambridge University Press, New York.
Portes A., (1998). Social capital: Its origins and applications in modern sociology, in â€œAnnual Review of Sociologyâ€ n. 24, pp.1-24.
Sam, D. L. (2006). Acculturation: conceptual background and core components. In Sam D.L. & Berry J.W. (Eds.). The Cambridge Handbook of Acculturation Psychology. London: Cambridge UniversityPress.
Sayad, A. (1999). La Double Absence. Des illusions de l'Ã©migrÃ© aux souffrances de l'immigrÃ©. Paris: Seuil.
Stark O., (1991). The migration of Labour, Basil Blackwell, Cambridge.
Wallerstein I., (1974). The modernworld-system: Capitalist agriculture and the origins of the European world economy in the sixteenth century, Academic Press, New York.
Zanfrini, L. (2004). Sociologia delle migrazioni. Romeâ€“Bari: Laterza.
Authors who publish in this Working Papers Series agree with the following points:
- The author(s) guarantee(s) that the article is original and it has not previously published and it has not been sent to other series for consideration.
- The author(s) declare(s) that the work does not violate the copyright of third parties and assume the full personal and financial responsibility for any legal action which may be brought by third parties against the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge
- The author(s) retain(s) the rights of the work and grant to the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge the right to publish the work in digital edition with the licence Creative Commons Attribution Licence 4.0 (CC BY-NC-ND) or in any other form that the publisher considers opportune for the maximum dissemination. This attribution allows others to share the work, indicating the authorship and the initial publication in this Working Paper Series.
- The authors can establish other arrangements with non-exclusive license to distribute the published version of the work (eg. deposit it in an institutional archive or publish it in a monograph), indicating that it was first published in Working Papers Series of the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge
- The author(s) can distribute the work online (eg. on their website) only after that it is published by the Working Papers Series of the ICSR Mediterranean Knowledge (see The Effect of Open Access).